Blogs > Delco Hoops

The Daily Times' boys basketball blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

JAMEER'S ALL-TIME CHESTER LINEUP

Here's one thing Jameer Nelson knows about Chester High basketball: This year's team is more talented than his state-title team in 2000.

Here's another thing Nelson knows: Nelson - the Orlando Magic's starting point guard, an NBA all-star, a consensus Player of the Year at Saint Joseph's, a 2000 PIAA Class AAAA state champ at Chester - would NOT include his name among Chester's five-best all-time players.

"I can't put myself in it," said Nelson, who spoke to me in advance of the three-day holiday tournament bearing his and his father's name, the Jameer Nelson/Pete Nelson Classic. "I'm behind those guys from when I played at Chester. There were a lot of great players at Chester, before me and after me."

So who would Nelson include? Some of the names may surprise you.

"My all-time starting five? Wow," Nelson said. "I'd go with Zain Shaw, Eric Evans, Ray Carroll, Granny Lash and Rondae Jefferson (pictured, right)."

Zain Shaw, a 1991 grad and the program's all-time leading scorer, had 1,993 points and won a state title as a sophomore. ... Eric "Pooh" Evans, a 1994 state champ and the brother of NBA star Tyreke Evans, shared the same backcourt as Ray Carroll. Speaking of him ... Ray Carroll, a 1995 grad, an all-American and a 1994 state champ, had 1,401 points. ... Granny Lash, twice a state runner-up, averaged 21 points as a junior but is not among the school's 1,000-point scorers. ... Rondae Jefferson, a state champ last year as a sophomore, is regarded nationally as one of the top recruits from the Class of 2013.

"Rondae's definitely up there all-time," Nelson said. "They probably have more talent (this year and last year) than we had. I still like my team in 2000. There were some tough teams before and after, so it's tough to compare, to say who would win. All I know is if you've played at Chester, you've got to be a good player."

Nelsom omitted guys like Emerson Baynard (10th-leading scorer, a first-team all-American), Nasir Robinson (stud at Pitt, 2nd-leading scorer, 2008 state champ), and Horace Walker (9th-leading scorer who had an NBA career).

But hey, everyone's got their opinions. Who would make the cut for you?

Here's more from my interview with Jameer Nelson.

(Daily Times staff photo / ERIC HARTLINE)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Peach said...

Vito Emerson didn't win a State Championship.1st title was in 83.Baynard played in the 60's.

December 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM 
Blogger Christopher said...

Peach, my memory failed me. I'll correct that. Thanks for the heads-up. See you soon. Happy New Year.

December 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM 
Blogger mc1975 said...

Herman Harris???

December 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home