Blogs > Delco Hoops

The Daily Times' boys basketball blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Q+A WITH CHESTER HIGH'S JAMEER NELSON



Jameer Nelson shouldn't surprise anyone by now. You know what to expect from the Chester High and Saint Joseph's University product.

Except when speaking to him on the phone.

The 2000 Daily Times Player of the Year, Nelson called me this week to preview the Jameer Nelson/Pete Nelson Classic, the annual holiday round-robin tournament that features Delco's and Southeastern Pennsylvania's finest boys basketball teams. Of course, we talked other things, too --- like politics, food and holiday goodies.

Take a look:

Nelson, on supporting the burgeoning political career of former Chester coach Fred Pickett, who in November lost his campaign for Chester city council:
"I support him and everything he's doing - always. The one thing about Fred is he has a big heart. I don't get into politics all that much. I follow enough, but not too much. But politics is just like everything else - somebody's got to win and somebody's got to lose."

On coming home for the holidays:
"I never get a chance to. Fortunately, I'll be able to get most of my family down here to stay with me and my wife (Imani), probably around 10 or 12 people."

On his cooking preferences during the holidays:
"Believe it or not, I can cook. Basketball is so time consuming that I leave the cooking up to my wife and my mom most of the time. I can cook pretty much anything. My mom is the ultimate cook. My dad (Pete) was, too. Being in the NBA, it took years of not having anybody with you to learn how to cook. Nobody was there except me and my cousin, so you learn to fend for yourself."

On his dream Christmas gift:
"I'm not a guy that gets overwhelmed with gifts. I guess to help my family get down here to spend the holiday with us and visit with us is my gift."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home